On the whole of it, I would tend to agree, Mark. So I double checked things and
they looked OK.

Just to be clear on where I stood I started over on the z/OS side with the key
stuff.

I cleaned up /u/{userid}/.ssh - empty.
I cleaned up /etc/ssh except for the config files.
I cleaned up and deleted /.ssh (more on that momentarily)

I created a new rsa1 key for my user ID, put the public key into the authorized
key file for the same user ID on the target Linux.

The odd thing is that the creation process shows this fingerprint:

1024 a7:f2:20:71:9a:a9:75:bc:b2:c0:77:56:c4:ea:44:4c [EMAIL PROTECTED] -
showing not my ID, but the RACFID associated with the first instance of UID 0.
For
whatever reason, my ID in USS has UID 0 set for it. I disagree with this, but
that's the way it is. I am in the process of requesting another ID as I
think this has direct bearing on the issue.

I also created /.ssh and copied the /home/{userid}/.ssh/authorized_keys file to
/.ssh on the target Linux.

When I ran the batch job, after deleting everything in the /.ssh directory on
z/OS, and scratching the .ssh dir completely,  the batch job re-created
the .ssh directory, and created a known_hosts file and a prng_seed file,
generating this slightly different message:

FSUM1006 A shell was not specified. Processing continues using the default
shell name.
Warning: Permanently added the RSA host key for IP address '137.70.100.32' to
the list of known hosts.
FOTS1373 Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive).

The target Linux machine is already set up to do a password check for SSH logon
against RACF LDAP. When I changed the batch job to use IBMUSER as the
ID instead of my ID I did get a confirmed call to RACF LDAP in the log.  That
is the first thing the PAM module is configured to do - make the RACF
LDAP call.  I don't know if this is interfering or contributing to the
murkiness of this issue.

I can get this to work Linux to Linux just fine, and I am clearly communicating
to the Linux from z/OS because I see the attempts. It's figuring out
what conversation is/needs to take place where I am stuck.

IF anyone has further insight into this, I am absolutely receptive.

-J

             "Post, Mark K" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
             Sent by: Linux on 390 Port
             <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>

LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU

                                                                   cc
             02/12/2006 04:40 PM

                                                              Subject
                                                                     Re:
Attempting to get ported tools SSH to talk to a SLES 9 image on z.
                            Please respond to
               Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>

I would agree with Dave that you need to generate a key pair on the z/OS
system, and copy the public key to the ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file
(create it if it does not exist) on the target system.