Using the HMC, I configured offline some z990 Ficon dasd chpids to a native
SLES8 64-bit (2.4.21-304) lpar.  /proc/chpids now shows those chpids as
n/a.   After configuring back online , I tried to issue echo on 20 >
/proc/chpids commands without being able to return the chpids to an online
status.  I did get a message that the chpids were already online.

Can I recover these chpids without an IPL?
Should my heavy handed approach have signaled the chpids offline instead of
n/a?