> It has this file /dosutils/install/install.bat that appears
> to be Windows oriented.  What didn't work with that?

Just glancing at the code, it doesn't seem to handle any service packs,
which would make sense since it is on the vanilla CDs. So I looked at
.../sles9xsp3root/sp3-9/CD1 but I don't see any dosutils directory.  So it
seems (I may be wrong) SuSE did work to support Windows install servers at
SLES9 time, but haven't kept it up for the service packs.

So understand, if you do get that install tree built on Windows and you
install Linux from it, you will be at a vanilla SLES9 level and will
probably want to get up to SP3 one way or the other - extra work.

If you are able to find a Linux PC or other UNIX box, the mksles9root.sh
script will build a tree with the latest service pack found integrated
into it. If you have SP3 built in, when you install, you are starting at
the latest. Yes, a bit of shameless self-promotion here, but I am trying
to help you save time.

Another option if you do want to stay with a Windows server, is to build
the SLES9 tree with install.bat, and then add the SP3 CDs to that tree
manually.  Then you should be able to install from a Windows install
server and get right to SP3.

I wouldn't complain if SLES10 ships only on a single DVD - mount it
loopback and install from it.  When SLES10 SP1 comes out, throw out the
first DVD, mount the new one and install from that.  But now I'm dreaming

"Mike MacIsaac" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   (845) 433-7061