Bishop, Peter G wrote:
> Can anyone suggest a reason why a seg fault might happen on one platform but
> not another?  Please excuse my ignorance if I've phrased the question badly.
Usually it is due to either endianess problems (we are big endian versus wintel
is little endian) and/or 32 vs 64 bit issues. You need an strace that
follows the forks, also try
$bash> echo 1 >/proc/sys/kernel/userprocess_debug
and check the output in dmesg.
If you can compile with gdb debug info, gdb will also tell you where it
crashed...

cheers,
Carsten
--