Hello list

we are running SLES8 (and SLES9) under zVM 4.4 and zVM 5.1. Last weekend we
were in trouble and had to move a SLES8 image from a 9672 to a z890 (OSA
Express). As all dasd devices were shared between the machines both zVM had the
same definitions available.

The problem was to change the OSA definitions (lcs -> qeth) without a graphical
terminal.

Our solution was to just change two configuration files in /etc. This was done
with *sed* on the 3270 terminal.

Changes in *chandev.conf* (with new OSA addresses):
noauto;lcs0,0x0e32,0x0e33,0,1
noauto;qeth0,0x0e94,0x0e95,0x0e96;add_parms,0x10,0x0e94,0x0e96,portname:OSD01

Changes in *modules.conf*:
alias eth0 lcs
alias eth0 qeth

If you are able to use *vi* just edit the  two files, stop the *old* image and
restart on the new hardware.
I hope, anyone can benefit from this hint.

Regards
Leonard Janus
ekom21, Kassel
germany