1.  It all depends.
31 bit SUSE 9.0 will install on a single 3390-3 pack.
But...

1a.  This doesn't allow for much swap area.
1b.  It doesn't allow for a major application such as DB2, Oracle, Websphere
etc.
1c.  Really doesn't allow for putting on service, but if you have the service
packs as part of the install process (SUSE), you can put those on.  Futher
maintenance is doubtful.

2a.  Yes, you can move /home to another pack later on.  But why?  A single pack
system would be good for general testing and getting a handle on Linux, but you
will need more disk space for any decent production (swap, application space,
data space, none of that usually goes on the /home directory).  But if you want
to give a bunch of people an account with some room to play, this would work.

Once you get the hang of Linux, it really installs fairly quickly.  For me,
with a Linux server as an "install server", a place to hold all the images,
service packs and application images, a complete rebuild of an image takes
about an hour. (z890 IFL, with VSWITCH and FICON DS6800).  Use to take about 3
hours on the MP3000 60 mip box.  It is easy to create and destroy which allows
you to determine the results of your decisions (and select the best result),
before going into production.  This is not like the regular mainframe operating
systems where you have spent many hours before you get to make any major
decisions.

Of course, after we have gone into production, I still find that I made the
wrong decisions as I didn't understand what the application needed, and how it
was going to be used.  Oh well<G>.

Linux is an interesting learning process.  Reminds me of mainframes back in the
early '70s.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 3/27/2006 1:49 AM >>>
Hi everyone,
I have a couple linux-related issue. Maybe my questions are much too basic
but I'm still quite a rookie, so please forgive me if so.

Here go my questions:

1.- I have currently 2'3 GB (1 x 3339 cyl. 3390-3 disk) for my linux system.
Is this OK or is it too little for a production Linux System ?

2.- I would like to increase the size of /home. Is it possible ? if so, how
? should I first mount a filesystem, copy everything into it and then mount
that filesystem into /home ?

Any help will be very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Saludos,