In addition to using STARTDIRECTORY HFS, it was necessary to set the home
directory of the user to '/' and enter 'sles9xroot' as the path for
installation souce. During install, there were instances of it looking for
/sles9xroot//core9/CD1 followed by x'3D' that failed - I was using VNC,
edited the path to have the correct password and to remove the extra slash
and the x'3D'. It did seem to install..   Is it normal for it to shut down
right after installation finishes?

Thanks to everyone for the help - we'll see whether or not it IPLs
tomorrow.

Tim Hare
Senior Systems Programmer
Florida Department of Transportation
(850) 414-4209

Tim Hare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>
04/04/2006 12:38 PM
Please respond to
Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>

LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Checking with the experts... Success! Now on to the next problem!

One problem with z/OS FTP server resolved.  The z/OS FTP server supports
both MVS and USS (HFS/ZFS) data.

Our server had the parameter 'STARTDIRECTORY MVS' - this setting means
that when you connect to the FTP server, the initial "directory" is your
high-level-qualifier (HLQ),  for example "JOEUSER.*"  which allows you to
traverse your MVS dataset names as though they were directory trees.

Changing this to 'STARTDIRECTORY HFS' provides "standard" behavior,
putting you in your home directory when you connect.

I may still need to worry about what I put in as the top-level directory
(../sles9xroot gave me some issues) but I at least get software packages.

Now - on to the next problem! Are there recommendations for what
filesystem to use with 3390-3 DASD devices? And, if all of mine are
formatted as 3390-3,  but /usr needs to be more than 2.2GB is it better to
reconfigure the devices in the "Shark" to combine two or three into a
larger volume, or is this what LVM is about and I should do that in the
partitioning dialog.

This is an LPAR implementation;  so far I have 5 3390-3 devices to play
with, I could possibly get more;  and the intended proof-of-concept
configuration in the "long" term is Apache with Mono.