Tom Shilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 27.04.2006 18:40:25:
> It looks to me that taking a dump of a LIN-z system is a manual process.
> You either manually IPL a disk, a tape, or you do the VMDUMP command.
The
> automatic dumping after an oops or kernel panic that is available on
LINTEL
> is not available on LIN-z.  True?

Assuming that you are referring to the kdump based dump-on-panic mechanism
on i386 Linux, this is not available on s390.

> It seems that if I don't want to have a dump disk on every LIN-z system
> then I need to do the VMDUMP.  Could I have a pool of dump disks and
link
> to one when I need it?  Would a SLES 9 dump disk dump a SLES 8 system?
How
> about a RedHat system?

To quote myself from 09.01.2006:
> "Romanowski, John (OFT)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on
06.01.2006 19:43:34:
> > But can the same dasd dump tool be used to dump either release of
SLES?
> >  Do I have to use SLES8's tool to dump a SLES8 and SLES9's to dump a
> > SLES9?
>
> You can use the zipl dump tool from either SLES8 or SLES9 to dump both
> types of systems. The dump tool itself does not have any dependency on
> the Linux version of the system to be dumped. It is advisable to use the
> newer dump tool though (i.e. SLES9) to benefit from the latest bug fixes
> and features.
>
> Note also that you can use the dump tool installed by a 64 bit (s390x)
> system to dump 31 bit (s390) systems. The other way around is not
possible
> though, i.e. trying to dump a 64 bit system on a dasd on which the dump
> record from a 31 bit system is installed will produce unreadable dumps.

To answer your question: yes, a pool of dump disks would work, even across
distributions.

Regards,
  Peter Oberparleiter

--