On 5/3/06, Lee Stewart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'd be happy with a template!   I easily accept some tailoring.  But
trying to take WAS's oddball scripts and what they return and fit that
into the /etc/init.d/skeleton pattern can be done, but it's not for a
novice...   (And yes, David's Oracle is a help, but it's still a foreign
language to an MVS sysprog starting with Linux...)

No, it should not require tailoring in the code. That makes it
impossible to fix things etc. If you look at the stuff that SuSE have
done for many of their init scripts, the tweaking comes out of a
/etc/sysconfig/<service> file that is picked up by
/etc/init.d/<service>

And yea -- what Mary said!   Install by rpm instead of Java windows...
  (I had a busy z800 customer give up and go home because the WAS
install took so long -- hours before we left.)  Get those Java install
code writers to do something more valuable and send some sample (or
live) startup scripts!   ;-)

I was very determined not to run the GUI installer (because that
really slows you down and burns expensive cycles) and was happy to
find the magic option to avoid that. But the install of one of these
products just terminated without any messages, and when I did set up a
GUI it finally showed me the error message (insufficient space on my
disk). Sigh.

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij