On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 08:30:54AM -0700, Fargusson.Alan wrote:
> The quoted documentation corresponds to my understanding to the -o
> option.  As I stated in my question: vim -o file1 file2 should open
> two windows, one with file1 and the other with file2.  It doesn't do
> that on the Intel Linux system I have here.  In fact a vi -o3 gives me
> an error.

  I tried these on a Sun Solaris (my Intel Linux system is at home) and
when I typed    vim -o file1 file2
in an xterm (i.e., in a "window"), it brought up vim in a split window
with both files.   vim -o3   does essentially the same thing - split 3
ways and with no files in them.

  When running with xterms in a GUI, I never use this split window
because it is more convenient to use two separate xterm windows.

  I'd hope that vim is the same regardless of the OS, but I'll try to
remember to try this at home tonight.

--henry schaffer