On Friday, 05/05/2006 at 12:46 EST, "Little, Chris"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If the servers are running at a certain percentage of capacity, how
would
> virtualization help?  z or otherwise?

It helps because you can still dedicate CPUs to virtual servers.  If CPU
is King, then by all means give each virtual server all the CPU it needs.
But you don't need as much infrastructure to support each CPU.  That means
less impact on the environment all the way 'round.

I mean, it's not like they'll collapse 100K servers into two z boxes or
anything.  They still need a physically redundant environment for high
availability, and some amount of localization due to network bandwidth,
but within a site, a higher level of virtualization can be used to fit
more servers in the same space, or reduce the space (etc.) required to run
the same number of servers.

Even if it's a measly 2:1, it cuts the number of servers in half.  I'd
rather manage 50K servers than 100K (or whatever).  Even if it's an even
more measly 4:3, it's still a substantial reduction.  (It feels like we're
discussing nuclear weapon stockpile reduction...)

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott