On Thursday, 06/01/2006 at 03:45 EST, "McKown, John"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Please be kind. I don't have a z/Linux system around. But I know that
> you cannot share a filesystem between two z/Linux instances in
> read/write mode and hope to keep a usable filesystem (in the general
> case). I wonder why the dasd driver cannot (or does it?) implement an
> "ioctl" or some interface which the mount command could use to do a
> device reserve against the dasd device when mounted in read/write mode
> (or make it optional). Does anybody "partition" a 3390 into multiple
> filesystems, then use those filesystems on different z/Linux instances?
>
> Just curious. IIRC, SCSI has some function similar to zSeries
> reserve/release. But I don't remember what it is called. Or maybe I'm
> dreaming again.

No, you're not dreaming: it's called reserve/release.  And, yes, the Linux
ECKD device driver has ioctl(BIODASDRSRV) and iotcl(BIODASDRLSE).  But
understand that a reserve stops ALL other I/O to the device and has no
effect on the caches maintained by the other hosts.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott