On 6/2/06, Fuhrmann Anna <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I would love it. If I only knew which ones *are* the bootstrap files??

If you use Mike MacIsaac's sles9root procedure to put your
installation materials on a file server, you find them in the boot
directory (this is also on the Service Pack CD).  It goes something
like this (assuming you have the target disk formatted, created a file
system on it, and mounted it on your Linux server)

lrobv1:/sles9/boot # mkdir /mnt/0153/boot
lrobv1:/sles9/boot # cp -a initrd parmfile vmrdr.ikr /mnt/0153/boot
lrobv1:/sles9/boot # cd /mnt/0153/boot
lrobv1:/mnt/0153/boot # zipl -t . -i vmrdr.ikr -p parmfile -r initrd

Then you umount the device, go to /sys/bus...  and set it offline, and
IPL from it in the other LPAR. You could simply re-use that volume to
install the full system on. You might also use the disk for data and
keep the kernel on it as a rescue system in case something happens
with the real system.

I thought my linux system accesses only the DASD I explicitly dedicate
for it?

You can select in the LPAR definition on the HMC which devices you
allow the LPAR to access. That is good and secure. Some folks have
borrowed their unused z/OS-test LPAR for Linux (which had access to
all production MVS packs). That is probably not a good idea because
Linux will see all the packs the LPAR can access. The dasd= parameter
provides no protection.

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij