From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Christian
Borntraeger
Sent: Monday, June 12, 2006 4:08 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: snIPL on zLinux

On Thursday 01 June 2006 20:16, Spann, Elizebeth (Betsie) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is anyone running snIPL on zLinux? This is a DeveloperWorks product
> documented in Device, Drivers, Features and Commands.   I believe there
> is a problem handling image names that have a dash, eg. CCPUC-LX2

Hi,

I talked to Ursula (the current maintainer of snipl) and she told me to
forward this to the list as she is not subscribed:
-----------------------
currently snipl assumes that an image name does not contain a dash '-' and
defines an extra dash-usage required when snipl talks to the HMC refering
to an image name of a specific CPC. I have introduced this in 2005 after I
have been told:

" The '-' character is NOT a valid character for the CPC or Image name.
The valid characters are basically A-Z and 0-9.  These are documented in
the help panels for the HMC/SE tasks tha are used to define these names. "

If this is wrong, and a dash '-' is a valid character for an image name, I
have to determine another character unallowed in CPC / Image names that I
can use for snipl to separate CPC and image.

I am going to contact my HMC-colleagues within IBM to determine whether
dashes are valid in image names or not.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards

Christian Borntraeger
Linux Software Engineer zSeries Linux & Virtualization