On 6/1/06, Fuhrmann Anna <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi List,

We have RHEL up and running in a z/os partition.

I want to create a second (test) system from a copy
of our first system but do not quite know how to do this.

I thought about making a copy of the first system, dedicate the
DASD with the copy to both systems (per hardware configuration),
so that I can mount the copied system and make necessary configuration
changes
for the test system.

The questions:

1.
Can DASD be shared? The DASD with the copy I want to be shared is the
future "test system" ...

2.
Is this a realistic "production/test"-duality-system? Can I configure
the
test system offline while being mounted on the production system?
Can you propose a better concept? Or at least documentation for it?

Thank you very much for being helpful as you are ...
regards
Anna
~~
Dr. Anna Fuhrmann
Systemprogrammierung Mainframe
MA 14-ADV * Magistrat der Stadt Wien
+43 1 4000 91639
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I saw your note and since I have done something similar, let me share
my experience.
1) yes, you can clone by DF/DSS copy one set of disk containing your
Linux system to a new one.  You then have to make a series of changes
in /etc before you IPL.
2) no, you don't want to share the same DASD accross multiple Linux
images.  The reason is that not all the system files are read only and
some files get modified during the boot up process.
3) I tried using VIPA with RHEL and it was a nightmare.  Switched over
to SuSE and it worked right away.