On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 12:11:17PM -0400, Alan Altmark wrote:
> On Tuesday, 06/13/2006 at 10:15 AST, Yu Safin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > I need to point this out to our zOS guy.  Where do you stipulate
> > "EBCDIC NL"?  I suspect it is under the zOS USS and not on the FTP
> > client, correct?
>
> When you select the POSIX translation table (host code page 1047 if
> you want to select codepages instead), it will take care of
> translating ASCII LF to EBCDIC NL for you.  There is no explicit
> specification of NL.  The other [non-POSIX] translation tables will
> translate ASCII LF (0x0A) to EBCDIC LF (0x25), which tended [even
> today?] to upset readline/writeline functions in Java.

Has anyone noticed other characters getting mistranslated when ftp
uploading to z/OS? I had some trouble with ASCII punctuation in a C
program-- e.g., the `_' character was coming through untranslated and
the 0x5F code point isn't valid for a C program. I ended up using perl
and iconv to convert the file to codepage 1047 on my workstation and
then uploading the files in binary mode.

Seemed to work quite reliably, but what a pain.

-nash

--

"the lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."
                    - Geoffrey Chaucer