Hi,

First, Novell bought Ximian and their Ximian Desktop gnome based
environment a few years ago.  This surely motivated them to push
gnome to the default selection.

Second, I truly agree that there should not be any desktop
environment on a default selection of any server platform.

I always had to unselect quite a few packages from the minimal
installation of SLES8 and SLES9 to have a "true" minimal system...

I would really like to have a bare server selection with only the
base system.  I would be able to add the packages I need, like SSH by
selecting these packages by hand.  I will always remove any non-
mandatory package on a production system.  Even YaST is removed from
my installation.

My two cents...