Those files are established by the kernel, and their permissions are
fixed, in my experience. Trying to sync such a file is hopeless. Allow the
kernel on the target machine to live with its copies. If it were me, I
would exempt at least /sys and /proc from your rsync list.

The reason why is that these files are kernel instrumentation, with
custom-supplied internal I/O service functions. If its implementor meant
it to be write-only, then it serves some input-only purpose relative to
the kernel, and it probably has no "read()" stub.

--Jim--

James K Barnett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>
07/11/2006 03:23 PM
Please respond to
Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>

LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
cc

Subject
Question on /sys/devices/qeth

Hello,   First time posting on here, but enjoy going through the emails.

quick backround.
Running sles 9 under VM 5.2

I was using rsync to do a few directory level backups, and get a handfull
of permission denied on /sys/devices/qeth  files.
It seems these files are --w-------  only.     Can someone give me a
reason why, and if it would be ok to change them to rw?
Thanks.

Jim Barnett
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]