On 7/18/06, Jim Elliott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

There will be NO further 31-bit (32-bit) distros (the s390
versions) for the mainframe. IBM announced months ago that from
now on only "patches" for the s390x (64-bit) would be made

I believe you were corrected on this already before? The patches from
IBM are already for quite some time against a single source tree that
produces both the s390 and s390x kernels depending on your config
options. When the folks in Boeblingen don't try compilation for s390
and don't test it on 32-bit anymore, we can expect some more problems
in that area. I have seen such things already with dependencies on new
hardware that can not be fully configured out.

As long as you have modern hardware, running the 64-bit distribution
will only cost you some extra memory, CPU cycles and disk space. That
does make it a bit harder to get a business case for a solution that
exploits Linux virtualization on z/VM. And it allows for bigger
mistakes to be made. With z/VM 5.2 several of the restrictions for
Linux in 64-bit mode have been removed. The way SuSE were shipping
their 32-bit packages for the 64-bit distribution was a royal PITA but
they may be able to fix that when they only have 64-bit for SLES10.

IMHO this is similar to the decision not to test non-SMP kernels
(although I am convinced the majority of Linux servers on the
mainframe will have only one virtual CPU). Since some time you cannot
compile SMP=n anymore without patching things yourself, and it's not
obvious to me that kernel would take fully advantage of the fact. No
surprise the distributors only provide SMP kernels.

Rob