On 7/24/06, Dominic Coulombe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'm sorry, but we managed to do live backup of our systems without any
problem.  We restored a lot of backup and all were recoverable without any
problem.  Even when data was stored on LVM volumes.

You've been lucky. That sometimes happens.

We stop our databases prior to do the backup, sync the filesystems, do a
flashcopy, then restart everything.  As the databases are down, I don't see
why we would lose data on those filesystems.  I don't mind losing data on
the system filesystems as we are only interested in the database stuff.

It's hard to predict what damage occurs when the file system is
corrupt. I am not sure you would not even risk your database.

I don't think this approach is the best, nor it is recommended, but it does
works.  I'm not dreaming.

My apologies. Maybe I should not have abused your post to address the
common misbelief that journaling file systems are the cure for the
problems we described.

Rob