On 7/25/06, John Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

In all of this, isn't the UNIONFS still a live deal?  If as many client
systems as possible use a set of backing F/Ss that are Read Only, wouldn't

Yes, it's mostly working. I have done quite a lot with it on s390. You
probably don't want to use it for all your data (for performance
reasons) but just for parts of the file system that are mostly
unmodified (like /etc). I would not use it for all data on the system
though.
With unionfs you can put a sparse R/W file system on top and have the
modified files reside on some private R/W disk. Because that R/W disk
still is a real file system, you could sort of run a file level backup
of that disk outside the unionfs. For a stable backup you would have
the issues we discussed in this thread though.
But you could even put a temporary R/W layer on top and divert all
writes to that layer, backup the (now frozen) first R/W layer, and
then merge any updates during the backup back into the first R/W
layer. This is neat because it's file level, but there may be a
performance issue when files need to be copied up.

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij
Velocity Software, Inc