On Jul 27, 2006, at 1:47 PM, Nix, Robert P. wrote:
because you can't just use the tools supplied by the vendor to do
the maintenance; you have to do something extra to catch all the
extra fallout. I think, for this reason, most people have abandoned
the shared /usr concept, and are just allocating the space and
maintaining each system as if it was a stand-alone box. I could be
wrong, though.

You *can* use the vendor supplied tools, you just have to be very
careful about it, and maintain apply disks and cache disks that get
thrown away because they provide mirrored r/w copies of what's on the
r/o system, and by the time you've done all the shuttling to and from
single user mode to update /usr like that, yeah, you probably cost
yourself more in time than you saved in disk.

OTOH, unionfs is a much easier approach.

Adam