> On 7/27/06, Marcy Cortes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Did you find any equipment checks on the VM console?   We had a
> > situation were Linux didn't do well at all under equipment checks
(some
> > looped, some hung, some crashed).
> I will ask the VM guy.  He said that he could not see any messages but
> he was not specific about the console.
> When you talk about equipment checks, who is doing it?

Those are hardware-generated messages that VM is faithfully reflecting
up to the guest (since it's a dedicated device). The disk hardware is
generating them.

> How can I do more trouble shooting?  My Linux was locked, could not
> sign on even from the zVM user-id for my Linux.  The indicate command
> was showing 100% cpu but nothing else out of the ordinary.

Yes, that's consistent with the Linux device driver going into a retry
loop and not handling the error properly.

You probably should copy the contents of that disk to another volume
ASAP, detach it from the guest, and then run ICKDSF VERIFY against the
disk from the VM side. If it's a disk error, then DSF will let you know
ASAP (and VM has much more sophisticated error analysis and reporting
capabilities at this point, so you'll know lots more from that).

That said, overruns are pretty rare these days (they used to be commonly
caused by channel speed mismatches, but that's hard to do these days
unless somehow there's an ESCON port plugged into a FICON adapter or
there's some similar kind of definition mismatch somewhere). There's
something very weird going on in the STK box -- you might see if EREP or
the hardware console for the disk unit recorded anything weird.