Adam Thornton wrote:
On Jul 29, 2006, at 4:17 PM, Alan Cox wrote:

Ar Sad, 2006-07-29 am 14:54 -0700, ysgrifennodd Adam Thornton:

I somehow don't think that putting a thick coat of M4-flavored makeup
on the pig actually makes the pig much more attractive.

Why not ? It works for mustard. It certainly makes it a lot simpler to
generate new configuration files.

Generate, sure.

But I don't actually *generate* too many sendmail.cf files.  That's
because if I have the chance to set  up a new machine, it's going to
be running Exim or Postfix--both of which have configuration files
considerably more penetrable to a human not whacked-out-of-his-gourd-
on-BSD.

Which means that when I have to deal with Sendmail, it's dealing with
someone *else's* installation.  In which case, I have no confidence
that they used the macros, or that if they did use the macros to do
the initial file creation, they didn't go in and edit the generated

It's not hard to find out:
1. Save *.cf
2. Generate *.cd
3. diff ...

sendmail.cf by hand.  I *still* have to figure out what the cf file
is supposed to do.  Hives and projectile vomiting, I tell you.

Also, mustard tastes a lot better than m4.

I'm not sure I agree.

Note, I _prefer_ postfix, but otoh I don't thenk sendmail
configuration's as bad these days as people paiut it. Provided that the
vendor tools are used.

--

Cheers
John