On Tuesday, 08/08/2006 at 01:29 AST, Richard Troth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> It would be a great boon to all of us  (VM, VSE, Linux)  if EMC and STK
> and IBM would give us an FBA handle on SAN volumes.  Think about it! SAN
> on one side,  which can talk to z/VM and to zLinux,  but also to
Solaris,
> AIX, Windows,  but then also FBA to z/VM and to zLinux  as FBA  without
> EDEV overhead.  (Don't get me wrong:  EDEV is great,  but it's a hack,
and
> it's heavy.)

Rick, all that does is drive up the price.  The FBA architecture simply
has not kept up with ECKD and there'd be a whole boat-load of work to be
done to bring it up to snuff.  Heck, even RESERVE/RELEASE is not
architected for FBA.  And there's a lot of the advanced disk functions
that require CKD specifications.  All of that would have be enhanced as
well.  The fact that z/OS isn't into FBA must also be considered,
affecting the marketability.

I just don't see where the business value is to be found.  I do understand
the elegance of what you propose, but that's not good enough any more.
There was a time, though....

Could it be faster?  Sure.  How much faster?  Is it fast *enough* as-is?

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott