> Currently we're using RHEL4 on z and Fedora Core for desktops.  We
keep
> running into a wall with Java and different products using different
> versions of Java. Between the GNU Java compiler, IBM's Java for
Eclipse
> with MQ Series to Sun Java for AJAX. We're swimming in too many
version
> of Java to manage.
> Does the need for multiple Java installations exist with all linux
> distributions for zSeries (especially SUSE) ?

It's not unique to zSeries. The same problem exists on just about every
platform that employs Java. The majority of the issues are with testing
and certification, and that Java isn't really always the same between
releases, and particularly on different platforms. Coping with that in
the application would require competent and defensive programmers, which
cost more. Test and QA people are less expensive, and defining the
support configuration to be the one with the Java interpreter that you
have at this moment and only have to test once is cheaper still. You get
the picture from there.

> Has anyone had really good experience with proprietary software on
> Linux systems?  If so, did the distribution matter any or just the
> comfort and experience level of the staff make the process easier?

It has a lot more to do with the application vendor than the Linux
distributor. Some app vendors get it. Most don't. IBM and Sun are in the
second category most of the time (although in fairness to IBM, they are
getting better about it). The distribution really didn't matter much at
all -- other than if you know one better than the other, you've tripped
over all the stupidity up front and can avoid shooting yourself in the
foot again.

-- db