If anyone else needs it, C code for Malcolm Beattie's ext-int kernel
module to process external interrupts is in IBM's Redbook "Large Scale
Linux Deployment" at

"Using the ext_int module, you can send a signal to a specified process
upon
receiving an external interrupt of a specific type.

When loaded, the ext_int module requires three parameters:
code The hexadecimal external interrupt number to listen for
pid The process to notify upon receiving the external interrupt code
sig The UNIX signal to send to pid

For instance, to send UNIX signal 10 to process with pid number 1234
upon
receiving external interrupt 0x1243, use:

insmod -o ext1234 ext_int code=0x1234 pid=789 sig=10

To unload the module, use:
rmmod ext1234"

> Date:         Wed, 6 Sep 2006 09:02:02 -0400
> From:         "Romanowski, John (OFT)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject:      How to signal a Linux guest from z/VM?

> From z/VM I'd like to "signal" a SLES 9 guest somehow and have the
guest
> respond by running a shell script (CP SIGNAL SHUTDOWN is not what I
want
> to do).
> I don't want to use SECUSER and CP SEND, my Linux console isn't at a
> shell prompt, it's at the Login: prompt.
>  Does Linux have a facility to process external interrupts sent via
the
>  CP EXTERNAL command?
This e-mail, including any attachments, may be confidential, privileged or
otherwise legally protected. It is intended only for the addressee. If you
received this e-mail in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it
to you, do not disseminate, copy or otherwise use this e-mail or its
attachments.  Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete
the e-mail from your system.