The Rascal Pascal!

Post, Mark K wrote:
> Yes, it was intended to be a part of the GCC suite at some point in the
> future.  At the time I compiled and tested it, the compiler was not yet
> to the point of generating any code.  All it was doing was syntax
> checking.  I doubt very much it would ever generate code that would be
> usable on z/VM, unless someone like Neale decided it was worth his time
> and effort.  ;)

It seems to me the folk who use PL/1 and COBOL are not the kinds of folk
who write compilers. I'm sure if some of the Big Corps here could
dedicate one person each to the project, even to the point of hiring a
graduate with the skills to code and debug compilers, that serious
progress could be made fairly quickly.

One person, who sits with PL/1 or COBOL programmers, so they know what
he's doing, and I predict some of them will try it and report what
doesn't work.

Does your country have special tax concessions for R&D that might apply
to such a project?

Is one person too much for Big Corps benefiting form the use of OSS?

Pascal too is struggling.

--

Cheers
John