On 9/13/06, Tom Duerbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
We have been looking at an IBM VTS setup for quite a while.

Well, now the network people (open systems group) is interested.

Apparently, with the B18, we can also share it with Win/2000, Win/XP
and the like.  Just need another card for the scsi connection.

Now, is this the same kind of connection that a FCP connection would
use?
i.e. by adding FCP channels on our z/890, can I share the FCP
connection with whatever open systems connection is used?

I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too...

What I would like to do....
On the 390 side, I need regular (non-FCP) connections to the VTS.  This
would be escon or ficon.
On the IFL side, the Linux software products seem to want a FCP
connection (another set of cards...more cost).
Now the Open Systems side want to connect in (they pay for the
upgrade).  Can I share that upgrade with the IFL side?
Or, in order to have all three connections (if possible), would I have
to have a mainframe channel card, a FCP card and a Open Systems
connections thingie card in the VTS?

One other option proposed (in which I'm not fond of at this time), is
to have Linux, Oracle and DB2 backup agents running on the IFL side,
that backup over the network to a "NETBACKUP" server that then writes to
the VTS.

I'm not fond of sending 3 TB of data over the lan, even with GB OSA
adapters.  It seems like there is more than one pass of the data over
the lan, perhaps many passes.  My gut at this time, says going directly
via FCP would be much faster.

Anyway, there is a new series of VTS systems.  T3xxxx or something.  We
might now be looking at newer hardware.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

Most Virtual Storage Managers in the open systems world seem to be
based on "Falcon Store" (EMC/IBM/STK-SUN).  are there other options?
We have zLinux, zVM and zOS on the z-Servers.  We also have W2K3, AIX
and SUN servers.  Today we don't use a Virtual Storage Manager but we
are interested in getting such solution.  has anybody done a study
that can be shared?