Post, Mark K wrote:
Ulrich,

Thanks for your insight.  I've been trying to use GDB on this, and it
hasn't been working for me.  What ever I do just seems to change the
abend, or move where it occurs.  Any specific suggestions on how to go
about it would be very helpful.  My level of expertise with GDB is very
low.  :(

One of the drawbacks to debuggers is that they change the environment,
sometimes in ways that matter as to whether the program under test fails.

I commonly resort to adding debugging code (which can have the same
problem).

Last week I had glibc spewing about double-linked-list corruption, and
google suggested valgrind as a useful tool in looking for the problem.

You can also test with electricfence (shocking idea!); it involves
linking with another library, but no code changes.

Broadly, the problems that give rise to an 0c4 are those that can cause
glibc to complain (and abort), buffer overruns, and if it manages to
overwrite code, practically anything including "incorrect output."

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait