David Boyes wrote:
Do you consider the line mode approach that most Unix servers have in
their boot PROMs broken as well? That's the comparison you want, I
think.

I don't know of any Unix implementation that does fullscreen stuff in
the boot PROMs.

No, line mode makes sense at the boot prom level... but when a Solaris
box or HP box is booted into the OS, the console device becomes a fully
interactive terminal.  Very handy for when the box's network settings
are wrong so you can't ssh into it.  This allows you to login to the
console and use editors such as vi or emacs.  What your suggesting only
adds the ability to issue control codes like a control-c, but not use
interactive TUI's.  It's not enough of a gain to warrant the trouble.
Maybe you're just more use to 3270 than I am...  I really despise it.  :)

Current experience:  Oh, the networking info on that vm is wrong.  Log
into it's 3270 console... oh yeah, remember, don't type vi!  Let's use
ed or ex... okay, configuration fixed... let's see if I can ping out
now.  OH NO!  I forgot to tell it only 1 ping!  No control-c!  *sigh*
Well, *if* it's pinging, I should be able to ssh in and kill the ping
process.  If not...  well, crap.

Because of that, we have very few Unix admins who are authorized to use
the 3270 console.  Making sharing the workload with the rest of the
admin group difficult.