On 10/5/06, Ihno Krumreich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

To speed up the access to the swap space use multiple disks at the same
priority.
So to take the above example instead of using one 512 MB disk use four 128 MB
disks
with the same priority. To see how much I/O is done to the swap space run
vmstat and
look at the swap coloums.

You seem to miss the point we discuss here. The speed of a virtual
disk is determined by the CPU speed. Linux spreading its I/O over
multiple vdisks will not make it faster. The benefit of more data in a
single I/O is neglectable on virtual disk.
What we want to achieve with multiple virtual disks for swap is to
avoid fragmentation of the active portion of the swap device. Multiple
disks with *different* priority do a nice job there.

I am working on a short paper to summarize the "best practices" and
help people size their virtual machines and swap space. Watch this
space.

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij