We run using LDAP for the bulk of our authentication. I tried your test
and got a zero return code for both:

rockhopper:~ # su suseftp -c id
uid=1002(suseftp) gid=100(users)
groups=14(uucp),16(dialout),17(audio),33(video),100(users)
rockhopper:~ # echo $?
0
rockhopper:~ # su rpn01 -c id
uid=42312(rpn01) gid=5037(rpn01)
groups=4(nssunix),100(users),500(mail),2501(nssldap),5036(nssprintmgr),5
037(rpn01),5146(focapp),5147(rrisapp),5148(ecapp),5149(retroapp),5150(bs
c),5151(prptng)
rockhopper:~ # echo $?
0
rockhopper:~ #

--
 .~.    Robert P. Nix           Mayo Foundation
 /V\    RO-OC-1-13              200 First Street SW