Bob,
including Linux in a GDPS/XRC environment is generally fine, also
without ETR or STP support for time synchronization.

As far as I can see you only have the need for a data consistency
group throughout multiple Linux images or between Linux and z/OS if
you have transactional data in your multi-tier setup that requires
time consistency in case of an outage for proper rollback processing.
Remember your respective logs get (implicitly) synchronized through
the z/OS data mover based on the time stamps. With the logs in case
of an outage getting out of sync due to time inconsistency (one side
thinks the 2-phase commit completed successfully and the other side
perhaps not even finding the transaction it in its logs at all) the
recovery process is getting more "complicated" ...

However, please be aware that this becomes an issue *only* if the
LPAR hypervisor can't adjust the time transparently (which it usually
does) and therefore depends on OS collaboration. You may call this
paranoia, but it is real. Without OS support for respective machine
checks the hypervisor is required to virtualize the TOD for the OS
not participating and thus the respective OS images start working
on different TOD values. Therewith what used to be a consistency group
will show a time shift between images. Hence all OS images that have
the requirement for a consistency group (as outlined above) better
collaborate on ETR/STP time synchronization.

We are working to provide ETR support asap, but currently this
anticipated support is limited to LPAR only, as z/VM doesn't provide
the required guest support, yet. STP will follow.

Best regards,
Ingo

--
Ingo Adlung,
STSM, System z Linux and Virtualization Architecture