On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 07:50:21PM +0200, Rob van der Heij wrote:
> On 10/12/06, Ihno Krumreich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >> IIRC the NTP mechanism was to review adjusting the change of the drift
> >> every 2 seconds or so. Even though this is very little work, it does
> >> make VM think the guest is busy and keeps it in queue. Asking the snmp
> >> agent every minute for some MIBs (when the guest did real work) is an
> >> order of maginute less annoying for VM.
> >
> >No. Thats not true. When starting NTP looks quite often (dont remember how
> >often).
> >The more the reference clock and the local clock are in sync the less NTP
> >checks the state. This goes down to a check every few hours.
> >So after a while NTP should not be visible at all from a VM point of view.
>
> I'm not used to that response on my posts, so let me clarify.

If I have offended you, I apologize for that.

> The model behind the ntp support in the kernel is a based on 4
> different parameters:
> * constant base offset
> * frequency difference (skew)
> * aging of the oscillator (drift)
> * variation in the skew (jitter)
>
> The correction needed to steer the system clock to keep up with true
> time is used to determine these parameters. The offset is done by
> yanking the clock initially. The skew is done by a small extra that is
> added with each jiffy count. The drift is implemented by a change of
> the skew that is made every 2 seconds. The jitter is not corrected but
> recognized by the algorithms to avoid too drastic changes to the
> drift.
>
> My experience is limited, but all zSeries clocks that I have measured
> were a weeny bit too slow (some skew of ~ 1 ppm) but stable (no
> measureable drift). So provided you correct the initial offset
> (Operator Mickey Mouse clock) with an ntpd -q  the worst that happens
> is that the (daily) ntpd -q will 'yank' the clock forward a little
> (say 100 ms per day or so). This is good enough for a lot of
> applications.

I totally agree with you.

> The variation introduced by the dispatch queue in CP is way larger
> than what you want to correct. This dispatch delay will be depending
> on the system overall load. These long term variations as observed by
> ntpd running in a Linux virtual machine do not match the jitter model
> very well. The net effect is that running ntpd against some set of
> reference clocks makes your clock less stable than the zSeries clock.

As I wrote in the second part of my mail I see no need to run ntp on a
zSeries to have a stable time there. The only scenario I see is, if multiple
machines (and not only zSeries) needs to have a stable time.

The question on top was whether ntp keeps z/VM busy. And I think this is not
the case.

Regards

Ihno

"Never trust a computer you can lift."
--
Ihno Krumreich            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH  Projectmanager S390 & zSeries