On Saturday, 10/21/2006 at 06:45 AST, Michael
MacIsaac/Poughkeepsie/[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > But, with various security holes in Apache, particularly around CGI
> Don't any holes get patched on a regular basis?  If I am up to date on
all
> of my patches, I would not expect there to be a known hole in Apache
CGIs.
> We do tout the open source model as having superior security, largely
> because of peer review, no?

Oh, dear.  A religious argument.  "Security" is an attribute of the system
that is independent of the closed/open status of the source code.  And
"security" is only meaningful in the presence of "integrity" (the
inability to get around the security functions).  Integrity is also
independent of the status of the source code.

One does not fear known holes - they get patched (that's how you learn of
them).  Instead, one fears the *unknown* holes - those that *you* don't
know about, but someone else does.

> > a rule of security: be paranoid.
> I feel that prudence must balance paranoia.

You balance paranoia by evaluating what the cost is if the web server is
compromised.  If you give the web server the ability to issue any CP
command, then a hacked web server gives that access to the hacker.

About the only command a web server needs is the SMSG command so that it
can request another, trusted, server handle the CP requests; limiting them
to only the needed functions.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott