Hi People

We're running SLES 8 on 3 LPARs and SLES 9 on one.    We're using FDR/ABR
to do full volume dumps of the data.   We just bring down the applications
we're running (Domino) and unmount the volumes and back them up from z/OS
on another LPAR.

But this raises the question:   How do we backup the operating system? Can
we take a full volume dump while the system is running (but pretty much
idle)?   Is this a bad idea?   Our operations staff would rather IPL once
a month rather than once a week (which is what we'd like to do for
disaster backups).

Thanks!

We run something similar but completely automated one a week.
1) scripts to bring down zVM linux guest for zOS DF/DSS backup.
2) script to bring zVM linux guest after backup.
3) we use our company scheduler (uc4).

We also run Netbackup to take backup of some file systems during the week.
Oracle, same rman approach as most people.  All the Oracle volumes are
NOT df/dss backed up.  The majority of our TBytes of data are here.