On 10/23/06, Walter Marguccio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
this has been cross-posted to the ibmmain-list

we are a shop with a z890-230 with three zOS.e LPARs in Basic
Sysplex. We'd be really happy to consolidate some of our applications
running right now on Blades and/or pSeries on the mainframe due to
reliability and scalability of the latter. Within the Try&Buy
agreement with IBM we got one IFL and 16 GB memory on the fly (just a
microcode update), added two zLinux
LPARs to be run in native and installed DB2 8.2.2 onto SuSE Enterprise
9. Well, the first results we have been having are pretty discouraging.
We have been running some benchmarks in form of scripts on 4 different
machines

pSeries Power 3, two PPC3 @ 450 MHz;
 Intel-based board with two Pentium 3 @ 933 MHz;
 z890, 1IFL @ 1,3GHz (?)

 OpenPower 720, 2 PPC5 @ 1,6 GHz

and all benchmarks show that our IFL is *FAR* behind the Power5 architecture
(round 20.000 Eur).

Somehow, too slow to be true .... Without not going too much in detail
about what the benchmarks did, they performed operations like loading
and selects over joined tables - basic database I/O tasks.

Either we are doing something conceptually wrong, or we are expecting too much
from the IFL and/or zLinux.
 Comments, remarks, recommendations, pointer to further documentation are
really welcome.

Regards.

Walter Marguccio
z/OS Systems Programmer
Munich - Germany

Walter,
do you have the "sar" output from your runs on the p5 and Intel?
do you have the zVM Toolkit results on the z890?
not all applications do well on the z890/Linux.
If you are not running zVM but in native LPAR mode, how are you collecting?
what criterial do you use for success?

I can tell you from my own experience that it takes time to benchmark
and tabulate results when comparing the z890 to other platforms.