On Sat, 2006-10-28 at 02:32 -0400, Alan Altmark wrote:
> On Friday, 10/27/2006 at 04:12 ZE2, Martin Schwidefsky
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > After the BogoMips number has entertained us once again I'm inclined to
> > "fix" this stupid number.
>
> Yipee!

:-)

> > For replacement we could use the cpu capability that is reported by the
> > store system information instruction in SYSIB 1.2.2. On our test system
> > it reports a cpu capability of 1456 (System z type 2094 model 738/S38).
> > The bogomips number is between ~3400 and ~4000 dependent on the phase of
> > the moon and the my caffeine-level. With the attached patch the same
> > number is report every time. Makes sense, doesn't it ?
>
> Is it possible to call it the "BogoFactor" instead of BogoMIPS?  Esp.
> since there is no formal definition of the CPU Capability?

At least the bogomips entry in the /proc/cpuinfo interface is fixed, we
cannot just change it. I would leave it as it is.

> It seems that you should apply the "adjustment factors" and select the
> Primary, Secondary, or Alternate CPU capability as appropriate.  Also, to
> quote the book, "a lower value indicates a proportionally higher CPU
> capacity.   Beyond that, there is no formal description of the algorithm
> used to generate this value."  Hmmm... "lower value" ... hmmm.... From
> that I infer that it is related to cycle time in some undefined way, but
> that a value of 0 would represent an infinitely "capable" CPU.  (I know,
> I'm making big leaps in my assumptions.)

Arg, the cpu capacity gets lower for faster machines! Now I finally have
understood why they introduced a floating point number in the interface.
Lower value, that makes the number useless for bogomips. I'd have to
invent some calculation like 1000000 / cpu capacity.

> BTW, I *love* the "42" answer on a Really Old Machine!

But that would indicate a really fast machine! I can't use 42 as the
answer for old machines.. too bad ;-)

--
blue skies,
  Martin.

Martin Schwidefsky
Linux for zSeries Development & Services
IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH