There's always Tomcat.

Tom Duerbusch wrote:
I was looking at the IBM web pages for a trial of Websphere for zLinux.
The only trials they had were for Windows and Linux (Intel).

So, is there a trial for Websphere on zLinux?  And if so, what are the
procedures to get it?

We have a project on the Open Systems side, JAVA based.  Seems to be in
house code.  But then, it can't be much, because management is only
looking for a trial.  Anyway, they were looking at Websphere on 386,
when they started looking at Oracle Application Server.  Then things
started getting bogged down in acquiring the hardware for the trial.

Hardware?  I have a z/890 with an IFL (running about 10%
utilization)....

So I started bringing it up and decided to try it.
My guess is that I can bring up a Linux machine (I already have some 17
of them), and install Websphere and hand it over to development, in a
day.  We can decide what platform the application should reside, later.

If there isn't a trial available for zLinux, then I don't see how we
will ever have Java applications on the mainframe (which, being Java,
may be a good thing).

Thanks

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

Rich Smrcina
VM Assist, Inc.
Phone: 414-491-6001
Ans Service:  360-715-2467
rich.smrcina at vmassist.com

Catch the WAVV!  http://www.wavv.org
WAVV 2007 - Green Bay, WI - May 18-22, 2007