I have been having this problem for a long time and Novell has done
nothing about it.
I can start apache from webmin. It is fine.
But I can not start it from the command line. Is root shell somewhat
different to the shell webmin uses? There seems to be nothing wrong with
Apache2 per se. We even uninstalled / reinstalled Apache.
The problem with Novell was pending when I left my previous job.
Novell support is certainly wanting on many SuSE issues!
Ranga Nathan

James Melin wrote:
Greetings.

We have an internal department that has one of the virtual penguins on our
z/box using Apache2. For all of our other servers (Websphere anyway) We use
the IBMIHS server there.

In any case, I have not messed with the Apache configuration and nobody else
with access has admitted to it.  The only recent change was a 50 meg
reduction in memory allocated to the z/VM guest.

The message Apache2 is throwing when it fails to start is:

[error] (38)Function not implemented: Cannot create SSLMutex
Configuration Failed

I've looked at thinks like the prefork thread handler. Enabling that didn't
help.  Some other threads for intel indicate 2.52 is the release of apache
we need, but I am not sure that applies.

Anyone got any ideas about this error?

Thanks!

-J

Ranga Nathan