The SLES9 guest is down when I am trying to install SLES10, and the SLES10
guest is the only one trying to use the IP address at that time.  (I only
brought up the SLES9 guest to make sure somebody could use that ip
address.)

The parmfile for the SLES10 guest contains the following to define the
VSWITCH:
InstNetDev=OSA OsaInterface=qdio OsaMedium=eth Layer2=0
ReadChannel=0.0.7000 WriteChannel=0.0.7001
DataChannel=0.0.7002 Portname=OSAE400

The SLES10 guest gets connected to the VSWITCH, and the E005 error (IP
address already registered) shows up in the VSWCTL1 console.

Are there other details that would be helpful?

Thanks,
Steph

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for such purpose.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

             James Melin
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             nepin.mn.us>                                               To
             Sent by: Linux on         LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
             390 Port                                                   cc
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             IST.EDU>                                              Subject
                                       Re: IP Address Already Registered -
                                       SUSE SLES10
             11/22/2006 03:56
             PM

             Please respond to
             Linux on 390 Port
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 IST.EDU>

Perhaps some more detail on what you're attempting to do and how  you're
attempting to do it is in order, because it sounds* like you are trying to
use the SAME IP address in two locations. That's not possible.  (Ok it's
POSSIBLE to do it but you will get unsatisfactory results for trying). I
presume the SLES9 guest is down when you're trying to do this SLES10 guest?
If not, and you're using the same IP address I'd expect the behavior you
stated.

-J

             Stephanie A Maginn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
             Sent by: Linux on 390 Port
             <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>

LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
cc
             11/22/2006 02:37 PM
Subject
                                                                     IP
Address Already Registered - SUSE SLES10
                            Please respond to
               Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>

I am new to Linux, trying to install SLES10 under z/VM 5.1.  I am trying to
use a VSWITCH.  I IPL the kernel and initrd from my virtual rdr and
(eventually) get:
HCPIPN2833E Error 'E005'X adding IP address nn.nnn.nn.nnn for VSWITCH
SYSTEM SWITCH01.
HCPIPN2833E IP address is already registered.

After a pause, it says
*** Could not find the SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 Installation Source.

Activating manual setup program.

I have been able to use the IP address for SLES9 and for a VM guest.  Only
SLES10 is having this error.  Has anybody else run into this with SLES10?
I hope it is an error in my PARMFILE.

The guest is authorized to the VSWITCH, and does show up in a Q VSWITCH
DETAILS.  The OSA is at latest MCL level.  z/VM 5.1 is at 0601.

Thanks,
Steph Maginn
VM Technical
Computer Sciences Corp.