John then said:
> I _hate_ packages built this way. I fully expect that, should I rebuild,
> I can do so from the source rpm, and that the result will be equivalent
> to the binary rpm.

Please understand,  I did not say that Kirk's CUSTOMES could not rebuild,
nor that they should not use SRPM to do so,  nor that Kirk's team should
not use the SRPM in various ways during development.  I only said that
the RPM(s) delivered should be built outside of the too-smart-for-itself
logic of SRPM based builds.

RPM as a whole gets waaaayyy to intimate with the loader.
For payload delivery, RPM is fine.  (And proper registration, and for
audit, and a host of things I can hear Mark Post saying  "must have!".)
It's the all to often flawed BUILD automation in the RPM suite that
produces executables with distro-specific and release-specific bondage
that _I_ hate.

> I don't like any Sun or IBM java rpm I've seen (IBM's are better)
> because they play tricks building them.

Dunno what "tricks" they play,
but don't write off the whole -bb lot based on that, John!
As a vendor, Kirk surely does not want to have to produce
a separate RPM for each distro/release combination.

[rest deleted for brevity]

-- R;