Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU> wrote on 07.12.2006 06:25:33:

> On Wednesday, 12/06/2006 at 07:26 MST, Lee Stewart
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Getting close to trying this, but...
> >
> > For Linux to use it, I have to give a MAC address to Linux, right?  (In
> > Yast/Network Devices/Network Card/Advanced Options.)
>
> I don't know how to set the MAC manually on Linux.

Please check your Linux on System z Device Drivers, Features, and Commands
manual.

> > What do I use for a MAC address?   And if I just pick one, how do I
know
> > it's valid and not a dup on the net?
>
> This is the beauty of a layer 2 (TYPE ETHERNET) VSWITCH.  You can pick
the
> NIC MAC in the directory (NICDEF) and not worry about Linux.  Locally
> Assigned Addresses (LAAs) have to be unique only within their local LAN
> segments; MACs do not travel through the entire network.

Well, whether you define the locally assisgned MAC in Linux or whether you
choose to do so in the guest directory (and have Linux observe it as a
pseudo burn-in (universal) address) doesn't solve the problem of MAC
uniqueness in your network segment. Whether you choose the one or other
way is a matter of administration policies - and in case of using the
OSA layer-2 feature in an LPAR setup you don't have a choice in the first
place ...

http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/groupmac/tutorial.html

provides a little MAC address tutorial that gives you some context

> But the bottom line of LAAs is that if they are to be used, then they
must
> be managed.  That means there has to be a process in your networking
group
> who assigns them.
>
> Alan Altmark
> z/VM Development
> IBM Endicott

Best regards,
Ingo

--
Ingo Adlung,
STSM, System z Linux and Virtualization Architecture