Well after a LONG search and not being able to find
HISTTIMEFORMAT anywhere on the man bash page, I
reverted to the internet.
What I found was that this is only valid if you are at
bash level 3.x.
So I do a  rpm -q bash and get the following:
bash-2.05b-305.14
So I guess I'm out.
We are sles 9 sp3 where must I be to be at bash 3.x??
thanks
Mace