Mark inspired me, so I fetched the source to OOREXX and built it.
No problem.  It seemed to build a little cleaner on my FreeBSD rental
than on my SuSE (mix) ... subjectively.  (Got less warnings from the
compiler.)  It's heavily C++ based, so will have an affinity for the
build environment  (will be less portable to other releases or distros).
I found the source on SourceForge.  Regina is also available there.

I have not yet tried this on mainframe Linux,
but would expect it to build and run just as well there.

Now ... I use a funky scheme for third party apps.  It's less intrusive
and follows one of Melinda's rules:  don't comingle the 3rd party stuff
with what the vendor (or distributor) ships as part of the op sys.
So I built OOREXX to install into and run from /usr/opt/oorexx-3.1.1.
The wrapper makefile (sits above the supplied source) is at

        http://www.casita.net/pub/oorexx/oorexx-3.1.1.mak

A similar wrapper makefile for Regina is at

        http://www.casita.net/pub/regina/regina-3.3.mak

Copy either of these as "makefile" to a $APPLID-$VERSION directory,
along with a script called 'setup' and your downloaded source in "arc"
and they should build the package for whatever platform you're on.

If these are of value, enjoy!
No warranties expressed or implied.

Merry Christmas!

-- R;