From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of
Alan Altmark
Sent: Friday, January 05, 2007 2:37 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: LINUX SNA

On Friday, 01/05/2007 at 10:30 CST, "Huegel, Thomas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> You are confusing me. My first choice would be to use a VSWITCH, but how
can
> I define it to VTAM (VSE)? I currently use VSWITCH for all of my guest
> TCP/IP traffic, but VTAM?

Sorry to confuse.  VTAM (VSE, VM, MVS) XCA nodes cannot drive anything in
a VSWITCH.  VTAM XCA nodes use an adapter protocol called "LSA" which,
like IP's old LCS protocol, is available only in OSE chpids.  VSWITCH
NICs, however, simulate OSD chpids.

If, someday, VTAM changes from LSA to layer 2 QDIO connections, then it
will work.  Until then ....

Comm Server for Linux, OTOH, can use CTC to talk to VTAM or it can [now]
use layer 2 OSD chpids (real OSA or VSWITCH) to talk to a VTAM XCA node.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott

<< ella for Spam Control >> has removed VSE-List messages and set aside
VM-List for me
You can use it too - and it's FREE!  http://www.ellaforspam.com