From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of R
P Herrold
Sent: Friday, January 12, 2007 12:45 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Migrate Linux to different LPAR

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007, Jones, Russell wrote:

> We have recently installed CentOS Linux on our test Linux LPAR. We
> would like to migrate it to our production LPAR without having to do a

> new install. CentOS is intalled on a single dasd volume. We would like
> -          change /etc/modprode.conf

Almoost certainly a change in /boot/grub/grub.conf is needed as well;
wish I could be of more help, but I lack the hardware

> system in a different LPAR? I appreciate any suggestions.

We have been speaking with a list member as to the plans for the
CentOS-5 '390 product -- We are in a circumstance where (while we can
build in a Hercules instance) we need access to some real hardware to
make sure deployment matters work as expected.

Earlier this week, in a CentOS planning conference call with developers
from the UK, Belgium, the US, and .au, we were brainstorming solving
this.  Out of that process, and a chat with a member of this list, we
ended up with this present need
statement:

> The ancient PCI standalones (2 would be better, if I could simulate a
> channel adapter crossover - you mentioned *** as a knowledgable person

> to contact, to know who might have abandoned hardware instances to
> solicit for donation to the CentOS project), a warm body [ie, a tester

> of a trial spin] for feedback on installs on the real McCoy, and
> Hercules emulation are the ways to go -- Getting real access possibly
> thru IBM, sounds like it would be a neat fix as well.

This list has people using the prior CentOS products, and as the core
CentOS developers have not had a real ability to test, the currency of
our releases and updates has suffered.

People interested in helping the project can contact me at my project
email:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED], or my personal email:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
if they are shy about speaking publicly about possibilities.

-- Russ Herrold
        (centos developer)