From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Michael MacIsaac
Sent: Friday, January 12, 2007 7:03 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: SLES9 s390x problems installing SP3?

John,

I vaguely remember this.  One workaround that an enterprising colleague
found was to unmount CD1 and mount CD2 in the same place while the error
message is showing.  Then the upgrade should continue.

The crux of the problem, I believe, was that an identifier in a file was
wrong. I recall there was a way to drill down into the error message,
get
the offending value, somehow make the ISO image read/write, find the
correct file and set the value - a lot of work just to get yast to read
CD. (I like plan A :))

"Mike MacIsaac" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   (845) 433-7061

Bug in yast => Patch CD Update function?
Michael MacIsaac
Wed, 14 Dec 2005 05:33:26 -0800

Hello list,

I believed there is a bug in the SLES9 "Patch CD Update" process (both
in
SP2 and SP3). If you are trying to update your systems, the following
statement is in the README file of SP3 CD1 is pertinent:

  2.8 Updating to a Service Pack Using "Patch CD Update"
  When updating to a Service Pack by means of a "Patch CD Update" and a
  network installation source, it is necessary to copy all Service Pack
CDs
  into one directory then use this directory as that source.

This instruction is not specific on exactly what directories to copy and
is easy to miss.  But the bigger issue is that it doesn't appear to
work.
If you correctly point yast to a merged directory, all the patches on
CD1
will be applied, but when you get to the first patch on CD2, yast will
prompt you for CD2 which seems to defeat the task of merging the CDs.
Also, you now have a system in an undefined state, let's say SP 2.75 :))

I see in the file on CD1 named s390x/update/SUSE-CORE/9/patches/mediamap
(thanks to Kevin C. for finding this) the place where apparently the CD
number is specified:

patch-10009 1
patch-10010 1
patch-9997 1
patch-10059 2
patch-10060 2

If this file is modified so the second record is always 1, then the
merged
directory will work.

I opened bugzilla bug 20270 with the hopes that someone at SuSE will
eventually agree with me, and fix it. I wanted to also bounce if off
this
list for a head's up and to be sure I'm not missing something obvious.

"Mike MacIsaac" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   (845) 433-7061