This is under SLES9 SP1.

I lost my IUCV0 connection (for a while, or maybe longer).

So, for a temporary solution, for now, I wanted to dynamically add in a
vswtich connection.

I have an existing vswitch setup and made the necessary modifications
in the VM arena for a connection:

MODIFY VSWITCH VSW1 GRANT LINUX27
NICDEF 600 TYPE QDIO LAN SYSTEM VSW1

When I logon on the Linux guest, I get:

NIC 0600 is created; devices 0600-0602 defined
Like I'm suppose to.

And the q v nic shows that I'm ready to be connected:

CP Q V NIC
Adapter 0600  Type: QDIO      Name: UNASSIGNED  Devices: 3
  Port 0 MAC: 02-00-00-00-00-06  VSWITCH: SYSTEM VSW1

So I load the driver:

modprobe qeth

and do some other useless things <G>

Anyway, when I do:

ifconfig eth0
eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found

cat /etc/modprobe.conf.local
alias eth0 qeth

So, device not found....
I take it that the qeth device driver didn't dynamically find my nic.

If so, how do I manually add it?

Thanks

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting